Friday, April 3, 2009

More Nuts and Bolts of Motivational Interviewing

In drilling down into the topic, I actually did NOT change my search terms. I still searched on "motivational interviewing" but what I did do was change the databases and places where I searched.

Because Andrea wants more application-type works on motivational interviewing, I went to the Alcohol Studies Database in the Rutgers databases.

There I found these potentially helpful articles:







On a different search, I started at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, which led me to the Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration. From SAMHSA, I found the Addition Technology Transfer Center Network. At the ATTCN, I found this page on Motivational Interviewing Assessment: Supervisory Tools for Enhancing Proficiency (MIA:STEP). It contains a link to a brochure that I'm sure will help Andrea in her work.

Additionally, I had great luck at the National Institutes of Health, where I came across the National Institute on Drug Abuse. In their Publications area of the site, I found lots of helpful information on treatment for Andrea. There were many guides and manuals. Especially this one -- to Andrea -- Is this another direction in which you would like to look?

Overall, I'm continually amazed at how much information I can find on this topic, even when Andrea has changed the nature of the query, just by using the same search terms. I wonder what this means.

2 comments:

  1. I have to tell you Deb I am thrilled at what you found!! You looked at the US Dept of Health and Human Services which led you to SAMSHA which led you to ATTCN and the brochure. Looking at that brochure led me to a link on the page for MIA:Step product materials. There was information there that was extremely helpful. The best part Deb is that there are audio interviews involving a practitioner and the person in recovery! I can actually hear the whole process. I did not listen to all the tracks since they are almost 1 hr interviews but what I heard so far is so invaluable. I don't think you know just how good a job you are doing. Thank you so much for your continued efforts.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!